John Kenney – Cotney Construction Law
1. When you were starting out did you have a mentor, and if so, was it someone you sought out or they found you?
My father and grandfather were my mentors. This happened naturally; working for a family business, you get to see a wide range of day to day challenges, and my goal was to absorb all the information and do my best to help grow the business. I was also fortunate to have another mentor who was a WWII veteran that taught me all the technical installation aspects of roofing.
2. How did you get into the roofing industry? Where you in something different prior?
My start in the industry happened due to my family roofing company John H Kenney Roofing that my grandfather founded in 1924. This is where my love for roofing began, from the early age of 5 exploring the company roofing yard.
3. What would be one of the biggest challenges you have overcome?
Stepping out on my own and deciding to leave the family business and step in a different direction to do what was best for my family and me—moving from the Northeast where I was a part of the roofing industry for so many years to Florida where I did not know anyone. You have to take risks to get rewards.
4. If you were to give your younger self a quote to hold tight, what would it be?
I would have to choose two quotes. I think they are both relevant to my younger self for advice. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.”― Helen Keller and The secret of change is to focus all of your energy not on fighting the old, but on building the new. – SOCRATES.I would tell my younger self that you will always get what you want in life and your career if you focus on getting others what you need first. In other words, your success will come once you give back and help others to achieve their needs first.
5. Are you open to taking on a mentee?
Yes, I am open to taking on a mentee