This year in honor of Women’s History Month, Roofing Is Celebrating Women. Let’s not just celebrate the women who are written in the history books but let’s also celebrate ourselves. This month, you will see highlights of women to be celebrated within our industry.
Julissa Chavez, SRS Distribution Inc.
1. How did you get involved in the roofing industry? -I was recruited from Kennesaw State University (Kennesaw, GA) in 2014 as a Territory Manager.
2. What is one of the key things you’ve learned about yourself that you wish you would’ve known when you first entered the roofing industry? – I am Tenacious
3. In the spirit of Women’s History Month, who in your life has been an inspiring female figure that has helped you get to where you are today, physically, emotionally, intellectually and/or spiritually? -My mother Bertha Chavez has been my rock through all the challenges in my life, without her love and inspiration I would not be the woman I am today.
4. Who is one of your favorite Women in History? -The Notorious Ruth Bader Ginsburg
5. As we know, many of the women in our industry are always juggling multiple responsibilities. How do you manage a work-life balance? -Great question, I had to learn how to balance work-life balance when I started my professional career in 2014. It is easy when you are hungry especially in sales to miss the balance of work-life. However, my husband always reminded me of the importance this has on our home life. I had to learn to prioritize well and time management skills to get all things done and still have a happy life at home.
6. Share an example of a time when you realized you were one of the first women at your job, school, family, or social organization to do something that had a meaningful impact or caused a positive change? -When I was hired at SRS Distribution, I was the only Female Territory Manager in the Atlanta, GA market for our company. The positive change this created was being able to demonstrate to other women who were in the roofing industry that it’s possible for a woman to be a successful outside sales representative.
7. Share something that you have been a part of that other women can follow in your footsteps and pave new trails in the industry?
-National Women in Roofing
-Professional Women in Building (Atlanta, GA)
-SRS Women’s Leadership Forum
-In my current role, I am open to mentor women who want to enter the roofing industry and help them see all the careers within the industry that are available.
NWiR is so grateful to Julissa’s company, SRS Distribution Inc. SRS has been a supporter of NWiR since before we even incorporated as a Founding Sponsor and continues that support as a Diamond Sponsor.