(on the ARMA website)
The Education Committee has embarked on an initiative to provide members with easy access to resources in and outside of NWiR for technical education. Topics will include areas such as metal roofing and metal edging, asphaltic systems and products, single-ply materials, fluid applied roofing, etc. Stay tuned to the NWiR blog and newsletter for monthly updates with upcoming topics.
The theme for the month of April is All Things Asphalt. We are highlighting educational information offered in the asphalt segment of our roofing industry. When we move to the next month with new topics, you’ll still be able to see this content in the content resource library. The titles below are linked to the source.
(Free to NRCA members)
Search #WhyAsphalt on LinkedIn to see featured case studies from Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association
Although built-up roofs are the oldest type of low-slope roofing systems, gaining an understanding of the advantages and characteristics of modified bitumen membranes will help you select the asphalt roofing system that improves performance and saves on installation costs over traditional asphalt roofs. Learn how “mod bit” roofs, whether APP or SBS, provide improved durability with stronger reinforcements, resist hail and traffic damage, and provide factory-controlled quality manufacturing.
- Understand the functional design of an asphalt shingle
- Understand how the raw materials used address the functional requirements
- Understand how the raw materials are sourced and specified
- Understand why the raw material specifications are essential to asphalt shingle performance
April 21, 2021 @ 12pm eastern time
Join the NWiR Education Committee to discuss the basics of asphalt shingles.
April 26, 2021 @ 4pm eastern time
1 credit AIA HSW/IIBEC
- History and development of SBS-modified bitumen waterproofing systems, including addition of FR additives impacting sheet performance in catastrophic fire events allowing protection for building occupants.
- Modified bitumen sheet anatomy, incorporating discussion of self-adhesive and sanded sheet cold adhesive sheet installations and their impact on building occupants.
- Methodology of roof system application, including pertinence to environmental and safety impact
- Review modified bitumen membrane surfacing including highly reflective surfacing material options and their impact on building performance and subsequent occupant comfort.
We hope you enjoyed All Things Asphalt!
The theme for the month of March is March Metal Madness. We are highlighting educational information offered by manufacturers in the metal segment of our roofing industry. You’ll be able to see this content in the content resource library.