Submitted by Melissa Walker
1. When you were starting out did you have a mentor, and if so was it someone you sought out or they found you?
My mentor was my immediate boss who was a manufacturing sales person and I then reported to a engineer running our contracting business who then taught me most of my contracting knowledge.
2. How did you get into the roofing industry? Where you in something different prior?
I got into the roofing industry by working for one of Tremco’s customers and running that customers roofing program. Tremco asked me to join their team to help support the customer directly from their side. I went to school to become a high school business ed teacher and then went to work for a packaging manufacturer in their procurement and manufacturing departments.
3. What would be one of the biggest challenges you have overcome?
Being accepted in the industry both manufacturer and contracting as having knowledge of roofing application and project execution.
4. If you were to give your younger self a quote to hold tight, what would it be?
Life is a marathon not a sprint. Respect will come from execution and execution means mistakes and learning from mistakes.
5. Are you open to taking on a mentee?
I am open to this but would prefer to have one who I can work with after hours or on a Sat. morning.
6. Can you submit a headshot and either a picture of when you started in roofing or one that inspires you?
Here is a somewhat recent headshot…I don’t have a picture from when I started…way too long ago and I am not sure I can’t come up with an inspirational one either.